Jacksonville Violent Crimes Lawyer
We Serve Defendants Throughout Duval County
Being charged with a violent crime puts a defendant squarely in the crosshairs of the state of Florida. Our legal system prosecutes these offenses aggressively and punishes them severely. Defendants may be isolated by society, but they have the right to an aggressive legal defense. That’s what our Jacksonville violent crimes lawyer is here to provide.
Schedule a free consultation by calling Monroe Law at (904) 507-6194 or by reaching out here online. We offer video conferencing for your convenience.
The Definition of Violent Crimes
It’s important to emphasize that it is not necessary to physically strike or hurt another person to be charged with a violent crime. The simple threat of force is sufficient under the law for a District Attorney to bring charges. Hence, weapons offenses and the making of threats can be considered acts of violence. The violent crime definition also covers allegations of vehicular homicide.
There are a lot of different allegations that can be considered violent, from rape to kidnapping to assault and all the way up to murder. In the latter case, first-degree murder convictions are a capital crime in the state of Florida.
It’s possible that a violent crime might be charged as a misdemeanor offense—although even misdemeanors can bring up to a year behind bars. It’s more likely, though, that a violent crime will be charged as a felony.
The state of Florida has five different felony classifications:
- 3rd Degree: Even the lowest rung of the felony ladder can still result in a five-year prison sentence.
- 2nd Degree: Assault with a deadly weapon is one example here, and it may result in 15 years behind bars.
- 1st Degree: Armed robbery is just one of several 1st-degree felonies punishable by a 30-year jail term.
- Life: The “life felony” might apply when an adult is charged with sexual misconduct with a child under the age of 12. A conviction can, as the name of the felony implies, result in life imprisonment.
- Capital: A capital crime conviction doesn’t always result in the death penalty, but it will at least end with life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The stakes are exceptionally high for those charged with these offenses. They need to know their Jacksonville violent crimes attorney has a track record of success. While a past track record can’t guarantee the outcome of any particular case, the people who come to Monroe Law can take comfort in the fact that D. Scott Monroe, Esq is undefeated at trial.
Possible Defenses in Violent Crime Cases
The ultimate defense strategy chosen will depend on the unique circumstances of each case, but there are some general approaches that are common in violent crime cases:
- Self-Defense: We all have the right to defend ourselves. What the prosecution might claim is battery or a weapons offense might have been our client seeking to defend their own life or that of their family.
- Misunderstandings: For cases where the charges involve threats, it’s possible that the defendants’ words or motives were misunderstood. Most people who, in a state of anger, say, “I’ll kill you,” aren’t threatening murder or even violence.
- Innocence: The above two defenses imply that at least something happened, and the defendant doesn’t dispute the basic facts of the case. But what if the defendant has been falsely accused? Unfortunately, this does happen, and people need to know that their Jacksonville violent crimes lawyer will stand with them.
We tailor custom defense strategies for each client's unique situation.
We have experience on both sides of the courtroom.
Don't hesitate! Give us a call whenever you need legal help.
Get started on your award-winning defense with a free consultation today.
Attorney D. Scott Monroe is one of the best lawyers. He fights day and night for his clients, and he is just a phone call away. Mr. Monroe has a great & devoted team working with him and they are awesome. I recommend this law firm.- Nativita A.
Scott Monroe is top notch. From the minute I spoke to to him, everything gained clarity and was explained in detail. I would recommend Monroe Law Firm for anyone needing legal expertise. Thank you for assisting me with my needs!- Eric M.
Scott Monroe is the best criminal defense attorney in Jacksonville, Florida. There were many difficult times throughout the process, in view of the serious accusations, but Scott and his team never quit!- Ben S.
Scott Monroe had a very detailed & methodical way to evaluate the case findings and build a tailored defense strategy accordingly. I am very pleased with the outcome of the case and strongly recommend Mr. Monroe's services for any of the legal need.- Girish Y.