Jacksonville Assault & Battery Lawyer
Defending Against Assault & Battery Charges in Duval, St. Johns, Clay, & Nassau Counties
Assault & Battery is considered a serious criminal offense and is penalized as such in the state of Florida. At Monroe Law, P.A., our Jacksonville assault & battery attorney brings unparalleled expertise to the table, ensuring that your rights are protected and your case is handled with the utmost diligence. If you find yourself facing theses charges, we are here to provide unwavering support and strategic legal representation.
Call Monroe Law, P.A. today at (904) 507-6194 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our assault & battery attorney in Jacksonville.
What Is Assault & Battery?
Assault & battery are legal terms often used in tandem, but they represent distinct offenses under Florida law.
- Assault: Assault involves the intentional threat or act that creates a reasonable fear of imminent harm in another person. It's crucial to note that physical contact is not a requirement for an assault charge. The mere apprehension of harm is sufficient to constitute assault.
- Battery: Battery, on the other hand, goes beyond the threat and involves the intentional and unlawful touching or striking of another person against their will. Unlike assault, battery requires actual physical contact.
What Are the Penalties for Assault & Battery in Florida?
Florida takes assault & battery charges seriously, and the penalties can vary based on the severity of the offense and the presence of aggravating factors. If convicted, individuals may face the following consequences:
- Simple Assault: A second-degree misdemeanor with penalties of up to 60 days in jail and fines not exceeding $500.
- Aggravated Assault: Elevated to a third-degree felony with potential consequences of up to 5 years in prison and fines reaching $5,000.
- Simple Battery: Treated as a first-degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and fines up to $1,000.
- Aggravated Battery: A second-degree felony with penalties that may include up to 15 years in prison and fines not exceeding $10,000.
Defenses Against Assault & Battery Charges
Some common defenses against assault & battery charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: If the accused did not have the requisite intent to commit assault or battery, it can serve as a powerful defense. Misunderstandings or misinterpretations of actions may be key elements in proving a lack of intent.
- Self-Defense: Florida law allows individuals to use reasonable force to protect themselves or others from imminent harm. Establishing that the accused acted in self-defense can lead to the reduction or dismissal of charges.
- Consent: In some instances, the alleged victim may have consented to the actions in question. This defense hinges on providing evidence that the contract was mutually agreed upon and, therefore, not unlawful.
- False Accusations: Demonstrating that the accusations are false or motivated by personal vendettas can be a potent defense strategy. We can diligently investigate the circumstances surrounding each case to uncover the truth.
Contact Our Jacksonville Assault & Battery Attorney Today
Our Jacksonville assault & battery lawyers at Monroe Law, P.A. possess the knowledge and experience needed to navigate the complexities of criminal defense. Don't leave your future to chance—contact us today for a confidential consultation. We are ready to fight for your rights and craft a tailored defense strategy to achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Trust us to be your staunch advocate in the face of such serious allegations.
Contact Monroe Law, P.A. today to get started with our Jacksonville assault & battery lawyer.
We tailor custom defense strategies for each client's unique situation.
We have experience on both sides of the courtroom.
Don't hesitate! Give us a call whenever you need legal help.
Get started on your award-winning defense with a free consultation today.
Scott Monroe is a true professional and a great attorney to have at your side for those tough times that can happen to any of us. I got a favorable result in my case which I am grateful for and again more than happy with the outcome.- Tamim
Mr. Monroe was incredibly responsive and took time to explain every step of the process with me. He always returned my calls. His unique work history allowed him to attack my case from all angles.- Lindsey S.
Attorney D. Scott Monroe is one of the best lawyers. He fights day and night for his clients, and he is just a phone call away. Mr. Monroe has a great & devoted team working with him and they are awesome. I recommend this law firm.- Nativita A.
Knowing Attorney Scott Monroe, I expected excellence. Scott and his staff exceeded expectations. When some interaction comes up, it is extremely helpful to have people like Scott and his firm on your side. I couldn’t recommend him highly enough!- Gerry K.